The mission of the FIR program is to facilitate student-faculty interaction outside the classroom and laboratory, and to provide informal mentorship relationships to help students advance their education in science and engineering.
FIRs must be employed as tenure or tenure-track members of the professorial faculty, and maintain good standing with Caltech throughout their term as FIR.
- FIRs must be on campus during their participation in the program (except for reasonable work and personal travel).
- FIRs are expected to engage in multiple interactions with students on a weekly basis, both informally (e.g., by attending house dinners) and formally (e.g., at dedicated FIR events).
- FIRs are expected to attend regular programmatic meetings with the Head FIR and the AVP for Student Affairs and Residential Experience.
- FIRs are expected to attend training events as required by the program.
FIRs are appointed for 2-year terms, renewable for an additional two-years conditional on performance.
- FIR apartment on campus.
- Meal plan for the FIR and family members living on campus.
- Yearly FIR event budget.